Pagina 2 van 68 EersteEerste 1234561252 ... LaatsteLaatste
De resultaten 26 tot 50 van 1688 worden weergegeven.

Discussie: King Kong (2005)

Standaard

Ben erg benieuwd!
    UltraStartrader
    Aantal plussen : 411!!!!

Standaard

Heb weer wat nieuws gevonden voor Peter Jackson's King Kong
    Een mogelijke script voor de film Bron www.ign.com
    The Stax Report: Script Review of King Kong
    A look at the remake by writer-director Peter Jackson!

April 08, 2003 - Stax here with a script review of King Kong! Director Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings) has been trying to remake the 1933 adventure classic for several years now. He almost made it back in 1997 but the project stalled after rival studios beat Universal Pictures to the monster punch by producing Godzilla and Mighty Joe Young, respectively. (A concise overview of how the project fell apart can be found here.)

It was announced last week that Jackson's first post-LOTR film will be King Kong. The film is budgeted at $110 million dollars and will film in Jackson's native New Zealand (outside Wellington, specifically) sometime mid-2004 for a 2005 release. (The climactic sequence set in New York City will be filmed in New Zealand as well; Depression-era Manhattan will be recreated as a set.)

Jackson will reportedly work on the script with his writing partners Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens this October after finishing LOTR: The Return of the King. It will, of course, be based on the original screen story by Merian C. Cooper and Edgar Wallace. Jackson and Walsh penned a first draft together back in 1996; their script has been posted online for ages. No word yet on how extensive their rewrite will be.

The Dominion Post interviewed Jackson last week and they report that, while no one has been cast yet, Universal wants "to hire international actors for most of the bigger roles." Might Jackson cast some of his past stars? The rumor mill once suggested that Heavenly Creatures' Kate Winslet was a contender for the female lead immortalized by Fay Wray but there's nothing to suggest this is still the case. Jackson will also reunite with Weta Workshop, the Oscar-winning special effects house that did LOTR. Kong himself will be a CGI character, a la Gollum.

This King Kong bears a closer similarity to the 1933 film than the 1976 remake did (surprisingly, though, there a few nods here to that dreadful turkey). This new version takes place in 1933 (albeit with a prologue set during World War I) and, like the Dino De Laurentiis-produced remake, Jackson and Walsh's draft blames the human characters for the troubles that befall them.

King Kong retains the same basic plot of the original movie: a filmmaker and an assorted band of characters "discover" a hidden island in the South Pacific where a lost civilization and prehistoric beasts still exist. One of these beasts is Kong, a 25-foot tall gorilla who takes a shine to blonde beauty Ann Darrow after she's offered up to him as a "bride"/sacrifice by the natives. Kong "protects" Ann even while the hero fights other monsters in his attempt to rescue her. Kong is ultimately defeated and captured by the outsiders. The filmmaker then takes Kong to New York City where he showcases him as the "Eighth Wonder of the World." Kong escapes, runs amok in Manhattan, fetches Ann and makes his tragic ascent to the top of the Empire State Building. The story's theme also remains the same: "It was beauty that killed the beast."

The three protagonists are (slightly) more developed than they were in past versions: Ann Darrow is now an archaeologist, Jack Driscoll is an ex-fighter pilot, and obnoxious documentary filmmaker Carl Denham is, well, he's still an obnoxious documentary filmmaker. These three characters aren't particularly innocent, mind you. Ann is a glorified grave robber, Jack's business is deforesting the jungle, and Denham exploits and demeans native peoples and their cultures. In the original film, Denham isn't really a bad guy (he was my favorite character, actually) but in the 1976 version he became greedy oil executive Fred Wilson (played by Charles Grodin!). This Denham is somewhere in between those two characters; he's still the showman he was in the original film but he's also become the comic relief/human villain, a la Grodin.

Ann, thankfully, is smarter and more independent than either Fay Wray or Jessica Lange (in a shockingly awful "dumb blonde" performance) were as their respective damsels-in-distress. This heroine is more proactive and driven. Rather than running away from Kong, she actually seeks him out at times. Ann's love for history and ancient cultures makes her respect Kong and his world. She'll go out of her way to protect him from humanity. In the end, she was more like Dian Fossey than Fay Wray!

Jack Driscoll is the genre's requisite man-of-action. He's no longer the first mate of the ship (or a hippie grad student like he was in the '76 remake). Jack nurses survivor's guilt over the death of his buddy in World War I. By trying to save Anne, Jack hopes to overcome his pain. Whatever. Those dots were never quite connected to my satisfaction. Otherwise, Jack recalls Rick O'Connell from The Mummy films, which brings me to my overall problem with this draft.

First, let me be clear that I am a fan of Peter Jackson's work. I especially adore his LOTR films. I was excited to hear that he was (finally) getting to remake King Kong and to be able to read his 1996 draft. Although I thoroughly enjoyed the original Kong, I wouldn't say it's one of my all-time favorites. (The 1976 remake, though, is truly one of the worst films I've ever seen, a spectacular failure on every level.) So I didn't approach this draft with some preconceived notion that it must live up to the original's legacy, which is probably an impossible goal anyway. While Jackson and Walsh's draft paid respect to the classic and was far superior to its remake, it nevertheless felt like a rehash of other recent films and I suspect I know why.

Kong was penned for Universal back in 1996. The studio had enjoyed immense success three years earlier with Jurassic Park; it had also been trying to remake The Mummy for some time. Not long after Jackson and Walsh's script was shelved, Universal produced The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997) and The Mummy (1999). The Jackson-Walsh draft of King Kong had whole sections that not only aped (excuse the pun) Jurassic Park but made direct references to and in-jokes about it. There was even a dinosaur stampede right out of the first Jurassic Park. Remember, Jurassic Park owes much to the original Kong as well as to Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World, which itself inspired Kong! (And let's not also forget Jules Verne's Mysterious Island.)

There was a long spell about halfway through this draft where Kong isn't seen at all; the humans are evading raptors and other dinosaurs. In a film called King Kong, I want more ape and less dino. I know dinosaurs appeared in the 1933 film, too, but this was overkill. It was as if Universal was simply cannibalizing their own franchise. I have to wonder if Jackson and Walsh weren't just responding to development executives' notes by including such Jurassic-like sequences.

There's a bigger problem, though, with the inclusion of so many prehistoric beasts. They steal the limelight away from the title character. Kong doesn't seem as impressive when there are dozens of other bigger, faster and deadlier monsters inhabiting Skull Island. I know, I know, they were in the original film, too, but Kong was more impressive than they were in that version. Here he just seemed like another beast in the jungle. I also couldn't see what made him particularly special to the natives. Why did they develop a cult around this creature as opposed to any of the other fabulous monsters on the island? And why is there only one giant gorilla around but plenty of dinosaurs?

I'm also curious if Universal didn't "borrow" some ideas from this Kong for their Mummy remake. The relationship between Jack and Ann is not too far removed from that of Rick and Evy in The Mummy. Both Jack and Rick are all-American mercenaries while Ann and Evy are British archaeologists. That's a rather superficial resemblance, I concede, but it does make you wonder.

Ironically, as much as I found the Skull Island segments too reminiscent of Jurassic Park the story didn't really fall apart until Act Three, which is when things shift to New York City. That's when Jack – in his attempt to be a hero, overcome his survivor's guilt and win Ann's love – makes a series of silly decisions. I don't wish to give too much away suffice to say that it involves his getting back into a cockpit for the first time since the war; the consequences of these actions would surely land him on death row! As overblown as these moments were, the most groan-inducing one was when Jack gives a young black street urchin a pep talk and even explains his character arc to him. Uggh! I almost expected them to burst into song. Please, please, cut this scene.

There were, however, many elements of this 1996 draft that I enjoyed. I'm glad it was a period piece rather than a contemporary tale. I liked how Jackson and Walsh portrayed the natives of Skull Island. The lost tribe is described as being Melanesian in appearance. (They're actually said to resemble Solomon Islanders.) This civilization is as advanced as the ancient Incas and Egyptians (they even have mummies). While they're no more developed as characters than the Skull Islanders of past films, I appreciated that the writers put some thought into who these people were and how they would live.

Obviously, this new Kong should prove to be quite a spectacle. There's a sequence set in Kong's lair where, in order to protect Ann, he fights off a swarm of giant bat-like critters. Kong's battle with a trio of dinosaurs was another high-point. I also liked the way Kong himself was re-imagined. He's described as being more ferocious-looking and primordial; he's not just an oversized gorilla. He's covered with battle scars and the silver in his fur indicates advanced age. And Kong finally moves and behaves like a real gorilla, which means we should be spared the sight of Rick Baker walking around in a shoddy ape suit.

Overall, I must admit to being somewhat disappointed with this 1996 draft. It was just too much like Jurassic Park for my liking. Fortunately, though, Jackson has already announced that the script will be overhauled this October. I hope he gets to make the King Kong movie he's long dreamt of making (and not some derivation of another Universal franchise).

I believe in Peter Jackson. I know he can make a great King Kong and I am still eagerly looking forward to his film despite my mixed reaction to this draft. If the man can pull off adapting Tolkien as well as he did then why should I worry too much about King Kong? – STAX
    My dvdcollection
    Roos
    StarTrader

Standaard

Citaat Oorspronkelijk gepost door Richard Boon
    Citaat Oorspronkelijk gepost door Rochan
    Citaat Oorspronkelijk gepost door Kaplan
    Sorry dat ik jullie Tolkien discussie onderbreek, maar om de discussie terug te brengen bij King Kong. Een King Kong remake staat of valt natuurlijk met de rol van het "meisje" Wie moet die rol gaan spelen volgens jullie?
    Kate winslet
    Vindt ik geen verkeerde keuze. Kate heeft wel dat 'gillerige' van een 'damsel in distress'.
    En ik denk dat toch velen van met ons toch wel hopen op Kate Winslet. Als ik de verschillende sites leest over de film, dan komt de naam van Kate wel heel vaak naar voren
    My dvdcollection
    Roos
    StarTrader

Standaard

Eigenlijk zag ik liever Godzilla 2. Per slot van rekening is King Kong niet meer dan een uit de kluiten gewassen aap.
    Eerlijkheid is het belangrijkste in een relatie. Als je daarover kan liegen, zit je gebeiteld
    "Bother," said Pooh, as the "cop killers" pierced his kevlar jacket.

Standaard

Citaat Oorspronkelijk gepost door Gabriel B.
    Eigenlijk zag ik liever Godzilla 2. Per slot van rekening is King Kong niet meer dan een uit de kluiten gewassen aap.
    Dan zou je Godzilla ook kunnen bagatelliseren tot uit de kluiten gewassen hagedis :wink:
    "It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen."-Alex de Large

Standaard

Citaat Oorspronkelijk gepost door Lex v/d Moolen
    Dan zou je Godzilla ook kunnen bagatelliseren tot uit de kluiten gewassen hagedis :wink:
    Maar dan wel een radioactieve vuurspuwende hagedis.
    Eerlijkheid is het belangrijkste in een relatie. Als je daarover kan liegen, zit je gebeiteld

Standaard

Laat PJ lekker maken wat hij wil, dat heeft hij wel verdiend na zijn LOTR Trilogy
    When I was your age, they would say you could become cops or criminals. What I'm saying is this: When you're facing a loaded gun, what's the difference?
    - Frank Costello (The Departed)

Mijn Collectie

Standaard

Maar dan wel een radioactieve vuurspuwende hagedis.
    De vlooienbaal maakt geen kans tegen "Gojira". :wink:

Standaard

Misschien het volgende project: Godzilla vs. King Kong
    "It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen."-Alex de Large

Standaard

Voor de geinteresseerden: Hieronder staat een link met een het eerste ruwe script van PJ's project. SPOILERS dus :wink:

http://www.geocities.com/scifiscript...s/kingkong.txt

Standaard

Misschien het volgende project: Godzilla vs. King Kong
    Nu nog de Fantastic Four en Aspen "Fathom" Matthews erin smijten en we hebben een summer-blockbuster

Standaard

Mocht iemand dit project van HEEL dichtbij zou willen volgen, een beetje film-CGI-ervaring hebben en er geld mee wil verdienen: http://www.2-pop.com/ubbthreads/show...b=5&o=&fpart=1

Ik heb helaas niet de geschikte kwalificaties.

Standaard

Hiers de laatste nieuwtjes over de derde King Kong-film:

Naomi Watts Talks King Kong!
    Naomi Watts talked to TV Guide about "Lord of the Rings" director Peter Jackson next BIG project, King Kong. It was reported that Watts had been offered the lead role and she confirms that she has met with Jackson to discuss the part.

"I've always admired him, even before 'The Lord of the Rings'," she says. "And the King Kong story is so iconic. There's something really simple, beautiful and heartbreaking about it and he would take it to a whole new level."

Universal Pictures is currently eyeing a December 14, 2005 release date for the tentpole film.

Andy Serkis to be the Face of King Kong?
    In a great interview at the Toronto Star with Andy Serkis about his work as Gollum in The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, an interesting bit is mentioned about director Peter Jackson's upcoming King Kong.

Serkis has an even bigger assignment ahead of him. Rumour has it he'll be the face of King Kong in Peter Jackson's planned 2005 remake of the legendary ape epic.

"Ssssh!" he says, giving another mischievous smile — and a thumbs-up gesture. It's just between us and the cat.

Sounds like Jackson will be using a similar technique for creating King Kong as he did with Gollum, where Serkis would act out the role and then the big ape would be computer generated in afterwards!

What is Weta Digital Working on for King Kong?
    The L.A. Times reports that some of "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy crew at Peter Jackson's New Zealand visual effects shop Weta Digital are already at work on King Kong.

Company executives acknowledge they will ramp down the Weta Digital facility. They say they are scrambling to keep much of their staff busy until 2005, when Jackson begins filming his next potential blockbuster, a remake of the 1933 film "King Kong." Moran began bidding on other post-"Rings" film and television projects nearly a year ago — a car commercial here, a sequence of effects for a smaller film there.

Some workers who have wrapped up their part on the trilogy already are working on "King Kong." Artists with the prop and physical effects side of Weta are developing sketches and models of the enormous gorilla and the estimated 30 dinosaurs that will be featured in the film.

Ian McKellen Up for a King Kong Role?
    The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King star Sir Ian McKellen, has arrived in Wellington for the premiere and he mentioned an interesting bit to The Dominion Post about possibly having a role in the trilogy director Peter Jackson's upcoming King Kong.

"He did say he might have something for me to do in King Kong and I hope that's true," McKellen said. "It would be lovely."

Peter Jackson Reveals King Kong Details!
    While its's still about two years away, director Peter Jackson has revealed new details about King Kong to The Dominion Post. Here's snippets from the interview...

Director Peter Jackson, fresh from the Return of the King world premiere, will start work on his $200 million King Kong film in Wellington next month.

Jackson, who will be in Los Angeles tomorrow for The Return of the King's United States premiere, said he still had to edit an extended version of the third Lord of the Rings film for DVD late next year. He wanted it done before Christmas.

But after taking a short holiday, he would spend most of his time from January working on King Kong, inspired by the 1933 film. Shooting is planned for August mainly in Wellington.

Jackson said that, because the film would be set in the 1930s, to create the period it would be easier to shoot about 80 per cent of the film at his Miramar studios. Some of the natural locations, including King Kong's home, Skull Island, would also be shot at the studios.

A key feature of the film is a freighter ship, Manuia, – believed to be berthed at Miramar – which takes King Kong from Skull Island to New York.

"I'm interested in (King) Kong being quite stylised and the jungles of Skull Island I want to be very over-the-top, like a jungle from hell. I imagine we are going to be more successful pulling that off in the studio or in a back lot than we are trying to find a beech forest in the South Island," he said.

There would be some location shooting for scenes on beaches or in boats, "but I'm not imagining a huge amount".

Jackson confirmed that it looks likely that Naomi Watts will play the lead, Ann Darrow, in the big budget film.

Clooney or De Niro Eyed for King Kong?
    The Sunday Star-Times has posted more interesting bits on the possible King Kong cast. As previously reported, Naomi Watts is in talks to play Ann Darrow, the female lead played by Fay Wray in the 1933 original. Director Peter Jackson may also reteam on the film with his "Lord of the Rings" stars Ian McKellen and Andy Serkis, who might do the big ape's movements, much like he did for Gollum.

According to the trade, Jackson is also eyeing George Clooney or Robert De Niro for the male lead Carl Denham, the adventurer who captures the giant ape and brings him back to New York.
    "I grew up in the cinema, almost. Both my parents worked there. My life, my reading, everything about me revolves around the cinema. So for me, cinema is life, and vice versa."
    - Sergio Leone

Standaard LOTR - trilogy

als "The Hobbit" uitgesteld is vanwege "King Kong"(geen kwaad woord over die eerste oeroude versies)......moet ik dan nog langer wachten op de volledige box???de trilogie+The Hobbit ???+extra's!!!de vraag is tegenwoordig hoeveel boxversies we in de toekomst nog zullen tegenkomen?wie te vlug aankoopt wordt dikwijls "gestraft",nu ja.....

Standaard

Jammer dat we nu nog 2 jaar moeten wachten op deze versie. Ik ben blij dat het een remake wordt van de '33 versie en niet van de '76.
    Het wordt dus een mix van King Kong en Jurassic Parc
    Gaan ze ook als einde weer de Empire State Building gebruiken?

Standaard Re: LOTR - trilogy

Citaat Oorspronkelijk gepost door Marino Vermeulen
    als "The Hobbit" uitgesteld is vanwege "King Kong"(geen kwaad woord over die eerste oeroude versies)......moet ik dan nog langer wachten op de volledige box???de trilogie+The Hobbit ???+extra's!!!de vraag is tegenwoordig hoeveel boxversies we in de toekomst nog zullen tegenkomen?wie te vlug aankoopt wordt dikwijls "gestraft",nu ja.....
    The Hobbit wordt niet uitgesteld voor King Kong. Je zou eerder kunnen stellen dat King Kong is uitgesteld voor de LOTR-trilogie. De plannen voor King Kong waren er (inclusief een script en wat concept-ontwerpen) al voor het LOTR-project.
    Bovendien is het nog niet zeker dat The Hobbit doorgaat. De rechten voor distributie liggen namelijk bij een andere maatschappij dan de rechten op het maken van een eventuele versie op het witte doek. Bovendien schijnen de erven Tolkien niet gecharmeerd te zijn van verdere verfilmingen van boeken van Tolkien. Het enige dat duidelijk is, is dat Peter Jackson bereid is de film te maken (mits de rechtenkwestie wordt opgelost en mits hij een goede deal kan maken met de maatschappij die uiteindelijk de film kan maken).
    "It is intriguing and useful to listen to the sacred rhetoric of the cinema groups and intellectual critics, but very little of it gets up on the screen in the next picture." -Jerry Lewis

Standaard

Het is niet alleen dat de Hobbit later komt omdat King Kong verfilmd gaat worden, ook nog steeds problemen met de rechten.

Komt ook niet vervelend uit, want na de Hobbit zal er natuurlijk weer een box gaan verschijnen met alle 4 de films. Ja ze willen natuurlijk hun zakken goed vullen met succes films.

Standaard

Citaat Oorspronkelijk gepost door Cinemaniac
    According to the trade, Jackson is also eyeing George Clooney or Robert De Niro for the male lead Carl Denham, the adventurer who captures the giant ape and brings him back to New York.
    Lijkt me niet echt een rol voor De Niro, maar het zou wel gaaf zijn.

Standaard

Hollywoodreporter.com
    Black will use gorilla tactics in 'Kong' redo

By Borys Kit
    Jack Black has been in cast in Peter Jackson's remake of "King Kong" for Universal Pictures. Jackson and Fran Walsh will produce the film under their WingNut Films banner.

Black will play Carl Denham, an adventurous filmmaker and showman trying to make a name for himself in 1930s New York. Robert Armstrong played the role in the 1933 original.

Black joins Naomi Watts, who is playing Ann Darrow, an American actress who makes a living performing in Broadway song and dance shows. Fay Wray starred as Darrow in the original.

A third lead, the character of a writer, has yet to be cast.

"I've been wanting to work with Jack Black ever since I saw him in 'High Fidelity,' " said Jackson, who is writing the remake along with his "Lord of the Rings" co-screenwriters Walsh and Philippa Boyens. "He's a smart and versatile actor (who is) blessed with an abundance of energy and charm, and I'm absolutely thrilled that he is joining us on 'Kong.' I look forward to seeing Carl Denham come to life in this new version of the story, and I have no doubt Jack will make him a truly memorable character."

Black, who was honored last week as Comedy Star of the Year at ShoWest 2004, starred in the fall hit "School of Rock," from Paramount Pictures. The role also earned him a Golden Globe nomination for best performance by an actor in a comedy or musical. Black's other credits include "Shallow Hal," "Saving Silverman" and "Orange County," and he next appears in DreamWorks' "Envy."

He is represented by UTA and attorney Warren Dern.
    'A thing of beauty, is a joy forever'

Standaard

Of ik hier nu zo blij mee moet zijn...

Standaard

omdat jackson lord of the rings heeft gedaan is dat voor mij nog geen reden om nu in vreugde uit te barsten na het horen van dit nieuws

misschien omdat ik ook helemaal niet gecharmeerd ben van de lotr reeks

Glorious Member
    Registratie datum
    Mar 2003

Standaard

Okay, Jackson toont weer dtai eballen heeft en zijn eigen visie durft neer te zetten. Als de film uitkomt haalt ie zijn gelijk wel weer.
    "How inappropriate to call this planet Earth, when clearly it is Ocean." Arthur C. Clarke

Standaard

Is het nu al 1 april?
    "It is intriguing and useful to listen to the sacred rhetoric of the cinema groups and intellectual critics, but very little of it gets up on the screen in the next picture." -Jerry Lewis

Standaard

Ben niet zo gecharmeerd van Jack Black, maar dat kan ook komen door de rollen die hij meestal speelt. Geef de man een kans.

Pagina 2 van 68 EersteEerste 1234561252 ... LaatsteLaatste

Instellingen bij het plaatsen van berichten