Pagina 6 van 6 EersteEerste ... 23456
De resultaten 126 tot 132 van 132 worden weergegeven.

Discussie: The West Wing

Standaard

Mijn favoriete scenes (verreweg) zijn de scenes tussen Toby en Andy in de aflevering Night Five. Ik kon er helaas geen youtube moment van vinden, maar hieronder wel de quotes uit het script:

Deel 1:
    ANDY
    I don't get how you could do this without consulting people.

TOBY
    Come on in.

ANDY
    I don't get how you think you can...

TOBY
    [closing the door] We consulted plenty of people. What do you think, Sam and I create
    foreign policy around here?

ANDY
    I don't know. You, Sam, Abbott, Costello.

TOBY
    We brought in... For three weeks...

ANDY
    Did you bring in anybody from State?

TOBY
    Yes.

ANDY
    Who?

TOBY
    The Secretary of State. Since when did you get to come in here?

ANDY
    I am the third ranking member on the damn committee.

TOBY
    This is a Presidential address, Andrea, not a camel.

ANDY
    A what?

TOBY
    A camel. A horse built by committee.

Andy flips through the speech.

ANDY
    [reading] "Freedom must run deeper than the free flow of capital. Freedom must mean more
    than the free trade of goods and services. The world will be free..."

TOBY
    I read it.

ANDY
    "The world will be free when we have freedom of speech for every nation..."

Toby sits down on the sofa.

TOBY
    In fact I wrote it.

ANDY
    "The world will be free when there is freedom to worship for everyone. The world will be
    free..."

TOBY
    Andi...

ANDY
    "...When we finally shake off the rusted chains of tyranny..."

TOBY
    Yes.

ANDY
    "...Whether in the guise of facist dictatorships..."

TOBY
    You getting nervous?

ANDY
    "...Or economic slavery, or ethnic hostility..."

TOBY
    A little nervous?

ANDY
    "...Or..." Wait for it... "the crushing yoke of Islamic fanaticism." Gentlemen, start your
    engines.

Deel 2

ANDY
    America doesn't have a monopoly on what's right. And even if we did, I think you're gonna
    have a tough time convincing the Arab world.

TOBY
    Well, we'd like to talk to them about it.

ANDY
    That ought to do the trick.

TOBY
    It's worth a shot.

ANDY
    The U.S. Constitution defends religious pluralism. It doesn't reduce all of Islam to
    fanaticism.

TOBY
    Neither foes the speech. It calls fanaticism fanaticism.

ANDY
    Toby...

TOBY
    It's fanaticism whether we call it that or not, so were going to call it that. We respect
    all religions, all cultures.

ANDY
    To a point.

TOBY
    Yes, to a point. Grotesque oppression isn't okay just because it's been institutionlised.
    If you ask me, I think we should have gotten into the game three, four decades ago, but
    they're coming after us now, so it's time to saddle up.

ANDY
    Toby...

TOBY
    We do know what's right.

ANDY
    This is why they hate us.

TOBY
    There's a lot of reasons why they hate us. You know when they're gonna like us? When we win.

He leans back against the wall.

Deel 3

TOBY [VO]
    It took...

ANDY [VO]
    Wait.

TOBY
    It took... Andrea, it took three days to get the language through NSC and the NSA.

ANDY [VO]
    Yes.

TOBY
    It isn't coming out of the speech.

ANDY
    I didn't think it was.

TOBY
    Then why were we here for an hour?

ANDY
    Several members have drafted an insert. Will you look at?

TOBY
    [after a beat] Sure.

She goes over to her bag and pulls out a sheet of paper.

ANDY
    This will follow your paragraph.

He comes over to read it from her.

TOBY
    [reading] "Our goal is neither to preach nor proclaim American values. We have deep
    respect for our Islamic brothers and sisters and we have a great deal to learn from
    the values of... tolerence and faith that are deeply held throughout the Islamic world."
    So this is your way of saying any resemblance the previous paragraph may have had to
    foreign policy is purely coincidental?

ANDY
    That's right.

TOBY
    Guess what?

ANDY
    What?

TOBY
    Our goal is to proclaim American values.

ANDY
    This speech isn't supposed to be about ideology. It's supposed to be about reality.

TOBY
    I think the President will decide what the speech is suppose to be about, but the
    reality is, the United States of America no longer sucks up to reactionaries, and
    our staunch allies will know what we mean.

ANDY
    We don't have any staunch allies in the Arab world; just reluctant ones. We've a
    coalition held together with duct tape! A coalition without which we cannot fight!

TOBY
    Nobody's blowing off the coalition, and that coalition will be plenty strong.

ANDY
    Oh, when we win?

TOBY
    That's right.

ANDY
    What's Egypt going to think? Or Pakistan?

TOBY
    That freedom and democracy are coming soon to a theatre near them, so get dressed.

He sits on the edge of his desk.

ANDY
    Toby... you guys are on a thing right now. And I'm behind you. You know I'm behind you;
    a lot of House Democrats are...

TOBY
    Not enough.

ANDY
    And plenty of Republicans. But this one moment in time, you have to get off your horse
    and just... simply put - be nice to the Arab world.

TOBY
    Be nice?

ANDY
    Yes.

TOBY
    Well... How about when we, instead of blowing Iraq back to the seventh century for
    harbouring terrorists and trying to develop nuclear weapons, we just imposed economic
    sanctions and were reviled by the Arab world for not giving them a global charge card
    and a free trade treaty? How about when we pushed Israel to give up land for peace?

Andy sits down, and puts a hand to her forehead.

TOBY
    How about when we sent American soldiers to protect Saudi Arabia, and the Arab world
    told us we were desecrating their holy land? We'll ignore the fact that we were invited.
    How about two weeks ago, in the State of the Union when the President praised the Islamic
    people as faithful and hardworking only to be denounced in the Arab press as knowing
    nothing about Islam? But none of that is the point.

ANDY
    What's the point?

TOBY
    I don't remember having to explain to Italians that our problem wasn't with them, but
    with Mussolini! Why does the U.S. have to take every Arab country out for an ice cream
    cone? They'll like us when we win!

He stands up and starts pacing.

TOBY
    Thousands of madrassahs teaching children nothing, nothing, nothing but the Koran and to
    hate America. Who do we see about that? [beat] Do I want to preach America?
    Judeo-Christianity? No. If their religion forbids them from playing the trumpet, so be it.
    But I want those kids to... look at a globe. Be exposed to social sciences, history.
    Some literature. [beat] I'll like us when we win.

ANDY
    [after a moment] Okay.

She stands up and collects her things together.

TOBY
    Let me take another look at the softer language.

Andy takes it out of her bag and hands it to him, then leaves.

P.s. sorry voor de lange post..
    Logan's inspirational messages of the day:

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. - Eleanor Roosevelt
    Adversity is the diamond dust with which heaven polishes its jewels. - Thomas Carlyle
    To love and win is the best thing. To love and lose, the next best. - William Thackeray
    Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late. - Ben Franklin

Standaard

Heel mooi voorbeeld
    Aaron Sorkin zou eigenlijk zelf de politiek in moeten!
    |Gekeken films (WhatIWatch) |
    "The screen is a magic medium. It has such power that it can retain interest as it conveys emotions and moods that no other art form can hope to tackle." - Stanley Kubrick

Standaard

Ik ben momenteel halverwege het derde seizoen van The West Wing en ik moet zeggen dat deze serie mij nog niet heeft weten te overtuigen. Vooral het eerste seizoen kampte met nogal wat opstartproblemen, er zitten nogal wat overbodige/matige rollen in die voor een deel ook geschrapt worden in het tweede seizoen. Niet alle personages komen nog goed uit de verf. Ditalles verbetert wel met het tweede seizoen, toch kan het witty heen en weer gepraat over vanalles en nog wat mij nog niet erg bekoren, het komt allemaal niet erg realistisch over iets wat toch vrij belangrijk is voor een serie over het dagelijkse leven in het witte huis. De enige rol die echt staat als een huis is die van Marin Sheen als president Bartlet, de gevatte en pientere president met weetjes over vanalles, bij vlagen schitterend. Ik ben benieuwd naar de rest, voorlopig een zesje, hopelijk kan er nog wat bij naarmate de serie vordert.
    Who buys DVD's anyway? :)

Standaard

Grappig, ik ben halverwege het vierde seizoen, en de serie greep me aan vanaf de eerste aflevering. De karakters en de acteurs die ze spelen zijn geweldig, de dialogen zijn (uiteraard) fantastisch, de muziek klopt, de set design is erg goed gedaan en het camerawerk is subliem. Ik zou als (tot nu toe) het enige minpuntje Moira Kelly aan willen kaarten, maar die ging gelukkig weg na het eerste seizoen. Voor de rest zou ik geen slechte dingen kunnen vertellen, maar ik heb de rest van de serie nog niet gekeken.
    If you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. And my straw reaches acrooooss the room and starts to drink your milkshake... I drink your milkshake!

Standaard

Sorry voor de bump, maar zoals algemeen geweten is de grote box in de UK seizoen 1,2 en 5 niet NL ondertiteld.

De grote box in Frankrijk zou echter wel NL ondertitels hebben.

Ook al komt dik tweemaal duurder uit als in UK, als ik de UK titels koop en de Benelux titels dan kom ik duurder uit dan de Franse box.

échter, in Frankrijk zijn ook enkele seizoenen zonder Nederlandse ondertitels verschenen.

Heeft iemand enig idee of de informatie correct is en dus de Franse box alle seizoenen Nederlandse subs hebben?

Standaard

Interessante vraag die ik eigelijk ook zou willen weten.
    BD (1243) What i Watch

Standaard

DVD-profiler al geprobeerd?
    |Gekeken films (WhatIWatch) |
    "The screen is a magic medium. It has such power that it can retain interest as it conveys emotions and moods that no other art form can hope to tackle." - Stanley Kubrick

Pagina 6 van 6 EersteEerste ... 23456

Instellingen bij het plaatsen van berichten