Pagina 113 van 253 EersteEerste ... 1363103109110111112113114115116117123163213 ... LaatsteLaatste
De resultaten 2.801 tot 2.825 van 6320 worden weergegeven.

Discussie: R.I.P.

Standaard

rip
    Royal O'Reilly Tenenbaum (1932-2001) Died Tragically Rescuing His Family From The Remains Of A Destroyed Sinking Battleship.

My Dvd's & Blu Rays | WhatIWatch

Standaard

R.i.V.
    Every damn person in this sick and twisted world worries me so much I only feel safe in the OHT!!
    Many thanks to David L. for pointing me in the right direction.

DVD.NLLER januari 2007

Standaard

Rest in peace, Angel Face :sad:
    "I grew up in the cinema, almost. Both my parents worked there. My life, my reading, everything about me revolves around the cinema. So for me, cinema is life, and vice versa."
    - Sergio Leone

Standaard

Citaat Oorspronkelijk gepost door Frank Bekijk bericht
    Actrice Zelda Rubenstein is op 31 december 2009 overleden. Rubenstein was vooral bekend om haar rol als medium in de film Poltergeist. Ze is 76 jaar geworden.

http://www.inquisitr.com/54481/zelda-rubenstein-dying/
    Dit berichtje bleek achteraf gezien een beetje voorbarig want ze is gisteren pas overleden. Zie http://www.filmjunk.com/2010/01/27/z...ein-1933-2010/

Standaard

J.D. Salinger, author of 'Catcher in the Rye,' dies

J.D. Salinger, 91, a celebrated author and enigmatic recluse whose 1951 novel "The Catcher in the Rye" became an enduring anthem of adolescent angst and youthful rebellion and a classic of 20th-century American literature, has died at his home in Cornish, N.H.

The author's son, in a statement from the author's literary representative, confirmed the death to the Associated Press. Mr. Salinger died Wednesday, according to the AP, but no cause of death was immediately reported.

To generations of men and women in the years after World War II, "The Catcher in the Rye" was the singular, tell-it-like-it-is story about the mind-set of a sensitive youth: cynical yet romantic; disdainful of hypocrisy, social convention and conformity; self-conscious and uncomfortable in his own skin; confused and pathetic but also loveable.

The novel is about the adventures and misadventures of a disillusioned 16-year-old who knows he is about to be expelled from his boarding school, Pencey Prep, and decides to run away instead. Over three days in New York City, he has a run of weird encounters with taxi drivers, nuns, an elevator man, three girls from Seattle, a prostitute and a former teacher. In his eyes, the world is controlled and dominated by "phonies," whom he cannot abide, and he struggles with limited success to come to terms with love, sex and, ultimately, himself. In an encounter with his kid sister, Phoebe, he finds affection and salvation.

In the more than half-century since the novel's publication, its protagonist, Holden Caulfield, has joined the ranks of such literary legends as F. Scott Fitzgerald's Jay Gatsby and Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn as a folk hero of American fiction, with near-universal name recognition.

Detested the spotlight

"The Catcher in the Rye" could have made Mr. Salinger a national celebrity, but he detested the public spotlight and, not long after the book appeared, withdrew to the hills of rural New Hampshire, where he lived in seclusion. He shunned contact with the media and the public, and filed lawsuits to block publication or quotes from his personal letters. He continued writing, but not since a short story appeared in the New Yorker in 1965 has any new writing of Mr. Salinger's been published. Earlier, the New Yorker had published J.D. Salinger short stories, but to the majority of the reading public he was known only as the author of "The Catcher in the Rye."

Throughout the 1950s and into the new millennium, "The Catcher in the Rye" had annual sales figures in the hundreds of thousands. Caulfield became a teenage Everyman whose wry and caustic observations seemed to be outrageous, clever and on the mark. From the beginning, in its cadence and language, his speech gave the youthful protagonist an air of authenticity and timelessness.

"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it if you want to know the truth. In the first place, that stuff bores me, and in the second place, my parents would have about two hemorrhages apiece if I told anything pretty personal about them."

Sociologist David Riesman assigned the book at Harvard in his course on character and social structure in the United States, perhaps, said Time magazine in a 1961 cover story, "because every campus has its lonely crowd of imitation Holdens -- doomed wearers of raincoats-in-December, who rehearse faithfully their Caulfield hyperbole ('It was the last game of the year, and you were supposed to commit suicide or something if old Pencey didn't win')."

When "The Catcher in the Rye" appeared in summer 1951, William Maxwell, the author's friend and editor, reported in Book-of-the-Month-Club News that Mr. Salinger had worked on the novel for 10 years and at one point had withdrawn a 90-page version that had been accepted for publication because he felt the work was flawed.

The title is based on a line from the Scottish poet Robert Burns. In the story, a mistaken rendering of the line causes Caulfield to imagine himself as a "catcher in the rye," responsible for keeping the children of the world from falling off "some crazy cliff."

Although he wrote for more than six decades, Mr. Salinger published no other full-length novel. His shorter fiction included "Nine Stories" (1953); "Franny and Zooey" (1961), which combined two stories; and "Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters and Seymour: An Introduction" (1963), which essentially combined two novellas. Much of this work was published initially in the New Yorker magazine, as was his last story to be published, "Hapworth 16, 1924," which appeared in the New Yorker in 1965.
    Zie http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...012803177.html voor de rest van het artikel. Ik moet bekennen dat ik z'n werk nooit gelezen heb, maar ik weet wel dat The Catcher in the Rye een van de hoogtepunten van de naoorlogse Engelstalige literatuur is.

Standaard

R.I.P.

Voor mij geldt hetzelfde als Richard, nog nooit wat van hem gelezen, en aangezien ik toch bezig was met wat te bestellen doe ik "The Catcher" er maar bij.
    Burn down the disco
    Hang the blessed DJ
    Because the music that they constantly play
    It says nothing to me about my life

Standaard

R.i.V.
    Every damn person in this sick and twisted world worries me so much I only feel safe in the OHT!!
    Many thanks to David L. for pointing me in the right direction.

DVD.NLLER januari 2007

Standaard

rest in peace!

Standaard

RIP Miramax
    Disney shuts down the arthouse studio

It sprang to life in 1979 as the brainchild of bullish movie producers Harvey and Bob Weinstein, and was named after their parents, but after a slow death from thousands of cuts, Miramax was officially closed today by Disney.

During its early years, the Weinsteins scrappily kept the ship afloat, shoved boundaries and helped bring the world the likes of Sex, Lies And Videotape, Clerks, The Piano, Reservoir Dogs, The Crying Game and The English Patient.

Rumours of the Weinsteins' bullying tactics and tough demeanor were rife, but they certainly seemed to have a keen eye for talent and an understanding of how to channel that into success.

Though it was bought for $70 million by Disney in 1993, the brothers continued to run Miramax with an enviable level of creative control, and pushed their already legendary Oscar-hunting style to new heights with the expanded funding offered by the Mouse House. Among the successes as winners or nominees were Shakespeare In Love, Chicago and The Talented Mr Ripley.

But money was also a constant problem, and the Weinsteins began to clash with Michael Eisner. In 2005, Bob and Harvey left the company, forced to let go of the Miramax named and formed The Weinstein Company, which currently struggles with financing issues.

"Miramax wasn't just a bad-boy clubhouse, it was a 20th century Olympus: throw a can of Diet Coke and you hit a modern-day deity," recalls Kevin Smith at The Wrap. "And for one brief, shining moment, it was an age of magic and wonders. I'm crushed to see it pass into history, because I owe everything I have to Miramax. Without them, I'd still be a New Jersey convenience store register jockey. In practice, not just in my head."

"I'm feeling very nostalgic right now," Harvey tells the site. "I know the movies made on my and my brother Bob's watch will live on as well as the fantastic films made under the direction of Daniel Battsek. Miramax has some brilliant people working within the organization and I know they will go on to do great things in the industry."

All that remains now is to think of the children: along with 80 people losing their jobs in New York and LA, the six movies still under the banner, including The Tempest and The Debt, face an uncertain future.

Miramax, then… Gone, but not forgotten.
    Zie http://www.empireonline.com/news/feed.asp?NID=26861 en http://www.thewrap.com/ind-column/rip-miramax-13606

Standaard

RIP JD Sallinger.
    Royal O'Reilly Tenenbaum (1932-2001) Died Tragically Rescuing His Family From The Remains Of A Destroyed Sinking Battleship.

Standaard

rust in vrede...

Standaard

R.I.V. J.D. Salinger - ik heb nog ergens de originele Engelse versie van Catcher in the Rye liggen. Nooit gelezen, binnenkort maar 'ns doen.

R.I.V. Zelda Rubenstein - ze zette een geloofwaardigere medium neer dan Char.
    "I grew up in the cinema, almost. Both my parents worked there. My life, my reading, everything about me revolves around the cinema. So for me, cinema is life, and vice versa."
    - Sergio Leone

Standaard

Acteur dood op theatertoilet

MAGDEBURG - Een 38-jarige acteur is na zijn theatervoorstelling dood aangetroffen op het toilet van het theater waar hij net had opgetreden.

De Duitse toneelspeler Mathis Freygang had afgelopen vrijdag in het theater van Magdeburg gespeeld. Het was de première van het stuk Vincent. Vier uur nadat het doek was gevallen werd de Berlijner dood aangetroffen op de wc door een garderobemedewerker.

De politie onderzoekt de zaak, maar aangenomen wordt dat de man overleed aan een hartkwaal.

Bron : Telegraaf.nl

R.I.P.

Standaard

Nooit leuk, rip.

Standaard

rip

Standaard

Producent David Brown overleden

David Brown, producent van o.a. The Sting, Jaws, Cocoon, Driving Miss Daisy, A Few Good Men en Deep Impact is overleden. Hij is 93 jaar geworden.

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituari...,4473862.story
    Laatst aangepast door Frank : 02-02-2010 om 20:10

Standaard

Rip
    When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth.

Alles over de nieuwste adventure spellen @ Adventure-Island.nl

Standaard

De naam zei me niet zoveel, maar het gezicht wel:

Die snor ken ik wel van een aantal making-of's. Een hele bekende producent was het.

Standaard

Samen met Richard D. Zanuck de ontdekker van Steven Spielberg.

R.I.V. David Brown
    - Sergio Leone

Pagina 113 van 253 EersteEerste ... 1363103109110111112113114115116117123163213 ... LaatsteLaatste

Instellingen bij het plaatsen van berichten