De resultaten 1 tot 12 van 12 worden weergegeven.

Discussie: My Fair Lady (2012)

Standaard My Fair Lady (2012)

Het is bijna niet te geloven maar ze zijn bezig met een remake van My Fair Lady. Het nieuwtje dateerd eigenlijk alweer van een paar maanden geleden, maar het leek me wel een apart topic waard:

Keira Knightley is My Fair Lady
    Source: Columbia Pictures
    June 6, 2008

Columbia Pictures has entered into an agreement with CBS Films to create a new motion picture of the Lerner and Loewe classic musical "My Fair Lady," to be produced by Duncan Kenworthy and Cameron Mackintosh, it was announced today by Doug Belgrad and Matt Tolmach, presidents of Columbia Pictures. CBS Films will be actively involved in the development of the new film. Keira Knightley is reportedly in talks to star.

The new film will use the original songs of the much-loved Broadway show, and will not alter its 1912 setting, but Kenworthy and Mackintosh intend where possible to shoot the film on location in the original London settings of Covent Garden, Drury Lane, Tottenham Court Road, Wimpole Street, and Ascot racecourse. The filmmaking team will also look to adapt Alan Jay Lerner's book more fully for the screen by drawing additional material from Pygmalion - - George Bernard Shaw's play that served as the source material for the musical -- in order to dramatize as believably as possible for present-day audiences the emotional highs and lows of Eliza Doolittle as she undergoes the ultimate makeover, transforming under the tutelage of Professor Henry Higgins from a Cockney flower girl to a lady.
    Zie http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=45737

Ik zeg: KETTERIJ! Ze moeten echt met hun handen afblijven van deze klassieker. Het was eigenlijk al heel wat dat voor de originele film Audrey Hepburn gecast werd i.p.v. Julie Andrews, maar ze willen die controverse nog eens overdoen lijkt het. Sowieso is een remake totale nonsense.
    Laatst aangepast door Richard B. : 29-01-2010 om 10:34 Reden: Jaartal aangepast

Standaard

Ach, de musical wordt ook eens in de zoveel jaar opnieuw opgevoerd. Beide films kunnen heel goed naast elkaar bestaan (als de nieuwe film enigzins te pruimen zal zijn). De oude film is een klassieke Hollywoodmusical, die look gaan ze niet evenaren. In plaats daarvan nemen ze het op op de straten van Londen zelf. Dat is in ieder geval een pluspunt. Valt de film mee dan hebben we een mooie tweede versie, en valt hij tegen, dan hebben we godzijdank altijd de oude versie nog.
    Ik ben eigenlijk vooral benieuwd of (en hoe goed) Keira Knightley kan zingen, of dat ze net als Hepburn gedubd wordt.
    If you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. And my straw reaches acrooooss the room and starts to drink your milkshake... I drink your milkshake!

Standaard

Inmiddels is Stephen Daldry (Billy Elliot, The Hours) aangenomen als regisseur. Hij is absoluut erg goed, maar het hele idee van deze film blijft waanzin imo.

Zie http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1243945/

Standaard

Ik vind het wel leuk. Zoals hierboven al gezegd werd is de musical nog zeer succesvol, dus waarom niet een nieuwe film. Het origineel vond ik goed, maar ook veel te lang. In het theater is drie uur prima, maar film is toch echt heel iets anders. Zelf hoop ik dat Laura Michelle Kelly de hoofdrol gaat spelen. Zij speelde onder andere de Beggar Woman in Sweeney Todd van Tim Burton en ik heb haar in London in de musical Mary Poppins gezien.

Standaard

Prima plan. Ik was nooit zo'n enorme fan van My Fair Lady, die ik op de een of andere manier altijd nogal log en 'serieus' leuk heb gevonden. Zou niet gek zijn als in de nieuwe versie ook iets van de scherpte van Pygmalion uit 1938 terug zou komen.

Standaard

UPDATE: Keira Knightley en Stephen Daldry zijn afgehaakt en in plaats daarvan zou nu Carey Mulligan de hoofdrol vertolken en John Madden de regie doen. Het filmen zou nog dit jaar moeten beginnen en de release is 2 jaartjes opgeschoven van 2010 naar 2012.

Standaard

Ik meen vorige week ergens gelezen te hebben dat men Robert Downey Jr. op het oog heeft voor de mannelijke hoofdrol. Maar ik kan me niet meer herinneren waar, laat staan of het een serieus bericht was of een vage roddel.
    "It is intriguing and useful to listen to the sacred rhetoric of the cinema groups and intellectual critics, but very little of it gets up on the screen in the next picture." -Jerry Lewis

Standaard

Citaat Oorspronkelijk gepost door Richard B. Bekijk bericht
    UPDATE: Keira Knightley en Stephen Daldry zijn afgehaakt en in plaats daarvan zou nu Carey Mulligan de hoofdrol vertolken en John Madden de regie doen. Het filmen zou nog dit jaar moeten beginnen en de release is 2 jaartjes opgeschoven van 2010 naar 2012.
    Betere keuze dan Keira Knightley
    Al zou dit natuurlijk verboden moeten worden...
    New: The Last Warning - MoC LE, Vampyr - MoC LE
    Coming ASAP: -

Standaard

Carey Mulligan doet me eigenlijk wel wat denken aan Wendy Hiller, die de rol van Eliza Doolittle speelde in de verfilming van Pygmalion uit 1938. Wat dat betreft is ze misschien authentieker. Daar staat weer tegenover dat Keira Knightley wat meer weg heeft van Audrey Hepburn.

Maar goed: ik ben sowieso tegen deze verfilming, dus feitelijk maakt het me ook niet zoveel uit.

Standaard

Citaat Oorspronkelijk gepost door Richard B. Bekijk bericht
    Ik zeg: KETTERIJ! Ze moeten echt met hun handen afblijven van deze klassieker.
    Dat doen ze toch ook? Ze maken alleen een nieuwe versie. Niet zo zeuren hoor.
    Misschien ben ik wel een gokjunkie en een leugenaar, maar ik heb hulp nodig. Kan ik misschien wat geld van je lenen?
    Scorsese te ruil

Standaard

Citaat Oorspronkelijk gepost door DanielC. Bekijk bericht
    Dat doen ze toch ook? Ze maken alleen een nieuwe versie. Niet zo zeuren hoor.
    Maar het is zo leuk!

En als er van het verhaal van zo'n bekende film een nieuwe versie gemaakt wordt dan kun je dat nauwelijks los zien van de oude versie. Dat lijkt me niet meer dan logisch.

Standaard

Toen ik me afvroeg hoe het met deze film stond, en op zoek ging naar informatie daarover kwam ik erachter dat de productie ergens in 2014 in de ijskast beland is en daar voorlopig niet uit lijkt te gaan komen. Gelukkig.

My Fair Lady adaptation shelved

The long-awaited remake of MY FAIR LADY has been shelved, according to EMMA THOMPSON.

The actress wrote the screenplay for a reboot of the 1964 musical which starred Audrey Hepburn as Eliza Doolittle, but the project was hit with numerous delays.

Keira Knightley and Carey Mulligan were both linked to the lead role, but rumoured director Danny Boyle reportedly dropped out and production never got off the ground.

Thompson rewrote the script a number of times, but now admits the movie may never make it to the big screen, telling the Daily Mail newspaper, "I did a new version of My Fair Lady, which they're not making."

A source adds to the publication, "They ended up with a director, John Madden, but they couldn't find the right Eliza Doolittle, and there were also complex rights issues at play."
    Sinds 2014 is er geen enkel nieuws meer vernomen over deze remake.

De reden waarom ik trouwens op zoek ging naar info over de film was een walgelijk stukje interview uit 2010 wat ik tegenkwam met schrijfster van het script Emma Thompson:

'Audrey Hepburn was twee, mumsy and really couldn't act': Emma Thompson's scathing appraisal of My Fair Lady star

She may be considered a screen and style icon, but Audrey Hepburn doesn't have a fan in Emma Thompson.

The Nanny McPhee star has describe the Old Hollywood actress as 'mumsy' and 'twee'.

The Oscar-winner's cutting remarks are published on the day she is honoured with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. In interviews with both The Hollywood Reporter and Daily Variety, the 51-year-old says the My Fair Lady star was not 'a very good actress.'

Thompson - who is writing a new movie version of the hit musical - says she wasn't a big fan of the 1964 film that starred Hepburn and Rex Harrison. 'I'm not hugely fond of the film,' she says. 'I find Audrey Hepburn fantastically twee.'

When asked by The Hollywood Reporter what 'twee' means, Thompson says: 'Twee is whimsy without wit. It is mimsy-mumsy sweetness without any kind of bite. And that's not for me. 'She can't sing and she can't really act, I'm afraid. 'I'm sure she was a delightful woman - and perhaps if I had known her I would have enjoyed her acting more, but I don't and I didn't, so that's all there is to it really.'

Hepburn - who died in 1993 - has long been considered a Hollywood icon. The Breakfast at Tiffany's actress won an Oscar for her starring role in the 1953 film, Roman Holiday. She also played Eliza Doolittle in the 1964 movie version of My Fair Lady. But the actress's voice was dubbed over and she is not heard singing the musical's most classic songs such as I Could Have Danced All Night and The Rain in Spain. The voice of American singer Marni Nixon is heard instead.

Thompson says she is 'thrilled' to be writing a new version of the musical but she admits she doesn't like the original movie and prefers Pygmalion - the George Bernard Shaw play upon which My Fair Lady was based. In an interview with Daily Variety, she says: 'I find it chocolate-boxy, clunky and deeply theatrical. 'I don't think that it's a film. It's the theatre piece put onto film. 'It was Cecil Beaton's designs and Rex Harrison that gave it its extraordinary quality.

'I don't do Audrey Hepburn. I think that she's a guy thing. 'I'm sure she was this charming lady, but I didn't think she was a very good actress. 'It's high time that the extraordinary role of Eliza was reinterpreted because it's a very fantastic part for a woman.' Thompson also doesn't like the way Eliza Doolittle was portrayed in the film, a part she hopes Brit actress Carey Mulligan will play.

It is the story of a working class flower seller who is taken in by posh phonetics professor, Henry Higgins. Higgins bets he can train her to speak in an upper-class accent in a bid to pass her off as a lady in society circles.

Thompson says: 'The central relationship between Eliza and Higgins is a fascinating one.' She calls him 'dysfunctional' and even accuses Doolittle's father, dustman Alfred of selling his daughter into slavery. 'He's more brutal,' says Thompson who admits to being a feminist. 'It's a very terrible thing he does, selling his daughter into sexual slavery for a fiver. 'I suppose my cheekiness is in saying: 'This is a very serious story about the usage of women at a particular time in our history. 'And it's still going on today'. 'Yes, OK, it's a wonderful musical, but let's also look at what it's really saying about the world.'

Thompson also admits that fans of the 1964 Oscar-winning film may not like the new version. 'Fans of the original won't want another one to be made - and honestly, one has to just cope with that,' she says. '(The original is) incredibly long. The audience can expect less songs.'

Thompson also speaks about her battle with depression in the interviews. After doing a 'big performance' she says: 'I have to go and be sponged down in a darkened room for a couple of weeks. 'I do have a lot of weakness.' One thing she does love is writing. Thompson reveals that her biggest inspiration for the Nanny McPhee films is Westerns. Likening the British nanny to Clint Eastwood, she says: 'The stories are kind of based on Westerns that I grew up watching with my father - everything from High Chaparral to The Virginian. Stuff like that. 'There's something in Nanny McPhee that I imbibed from Clint Eastwood and his ilk. Nanny is sort of Shane, really. 'She's this mysterious stranger who rides in from out of town, changes everything using rather unorthodox methods to resolve conflict and then must leave.
    Wat een onvoorstelbare snob die Thompson. Hoe diep kun je zaken als je het nodig vindt om Audrey Hepburn af te gaan fikken: een overleden filmlegende die zich als geen ander heeft ingezet voor haar medemens. Bah!
    Laatst aangepast door Richard B. : 07-06-2017 om 20:54

Instellingen bij het plaatsen van berichten